Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Reflection

Balance. It is all about balance. This journey certainly confirmed that for me. I learned how important it is to make time for yourself but also to make time for others. I went on this trip in a soul searching effort to help myself and in the end I ended up helping others. Helping others as much as I did made me truly happy. I waited a while to write this concluding piece. I wanted a chance to truly reflect on my experiences and see where they would take me next.
I have really taken a liking to a quote by E.E. Cummings: “It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” I one hundred percent agree with that quote. Too often people tend to follow others. They think that will provide them with the answer of who they are. The best way to find yourself is to figure out your own passion and chase it. For me, that is traveling and taking photographs. I do this in an effort of exploration: to learn more about life, about places and about others.  Too often people don’t take risks. They seek the easy way out and begin to blame the reason they cannot pursue their dreams is because of money, it is out of reach or simply impossible without even trying. Nothing should stand in the way of your dreams. There will always be obstacles. Things just don’t happen for you with the snap of a finger. I believe in taking action on dreams and to do that you must have courage. You must be willing to embrace change and to grow up. You must be brave enough to find yourself and be yourself. Each valuable experience that we encounter helps us to grow as a person. We never just grow up. I learned that by meeting Teri on the Halong Bay trip. He is 41 and still living passionately as he darts around the world. He not only travels for work but works to travel. He is an example that it doesn’t matter your age or if you are married or single, it is still possible to live with a youth-like passion. It is never too late or impossible to follow your dreams.
I have certainly grown during this trip. I have grown and developed who I am a on every trip, including freezing in the outback while sleeping under incredible shooting stars and a getting my heart broken on a plane home from Bali (all while clutching the bottle of holy water that my Balinese friend gave me to keep the evil spirits away). All of my experiences good and bad have developed my character. Every person who came into my life for a day or a few weeks have all left their footprints on my heart and taught me valuable things about people. There are people who think just like me, there are people who share the same confusion as me, there are people who make sense of life for me and there are the people who welcome you with open arms without caring who you are, where you’re from and what you have done. Travel gives me this gift of meeting extraordinary people. They may not know it but each individual who I have met on my travels (on this trip: the man at the airport on the way to Bangkok who bought me coffee and just wanted to talk about his wife and kids, the waiter said how happy he was to learn English, the old woman and her silent hand holding on the plane, etc.) has left an imprint in my life, in my way of thinking and in my heart. Their contributions have changed my attitude, have directed my life goals in a different direction and left me with an open and blessed mind.
I went on this trip with the intentions of soul searching. I left this trip upon the realisation that I ended up helping others more than I could have imagined and couldn’t have been happier about it. My dear Finnish friend from KL emailed me recently to inform me that he is now in his first relationship since grade 9. I’d like to think that I had a bit to do with that. I let a man vent his frustrations about his son and talk about how much he adores his family to me in the KL airport on the way to Bangkok. He obviously needed to talk to someone and I was the perfect stranger. I taught so many amazing people English. Many were trying to pass the tests for a chance at a better life and opportunities. I was a friend to those who were looking for a friend. I taught a boy who couldn’t afford to go to school and badly needed to learn the language. I helped to build a house for a family. I gave advice to a young girl who obviously needed it. I held a stranger’s hand. I donated to the Agent Orange Foundation.
Yes I had an entire 5 weeks of helping others and it was unbelievably amazing.
I’ll always remember the satisfying sound of my suitcase wheels rolling through the airport. I love that sound. This time it was different. It was a sound that symbolised love, passion, compassion and the right direction. I know that sound will come back. I know that suitcase will be rolling through the airport again, except everywhere that I travel from now, I would love to make a difference.
My experiences in Asia have opened me up to a new path towards a career. One in which I can continue to help these amazing people. I have always wanted to work for a non-profit but now I know that I would like to work for one that benefits underprivileged communities around the world.
I continue to contribute to Vietnam. My inbox of my email is constantly full with a few of my student friends asking for help with assignments or just to chat. I do my best to help them proofread their assignments and to help them with any issues they may have. Their emails are always full of life and hope and completely make my day. I am still waiting for the email from the boy who I taught at the vegetarian restaurant. He said when he makes enough money, which would be in over a month, which is probably right now, he will email me. I really wish the best for that boy and hope that he will have a better life soon.
This conclusion is not a conclusion but rather a statement of what I have gained through my journey. I will probably keep adding to it as the realisations keep occurring.  I hope to continue to add further stories of my travel adventures, experiences and incredible people that I meet along the way. Until the next adventure…….

1 comment: