Wednesday, June 29, 2011

28/06/2011 Kaula Lumpur, Malaysia

I had no expectations for this trip when I boarded the plane on Monday night. I had an idea of where I wanted to go in KL and Bangkok but decided to just go with the flow. I grumbled to myself as I forgot to request a window seat and had to sit in the middle aisle. However, everything turned around once a nice Finnish guy sat next to me. He began talking to me and all I wanted was sleep but he was funny so I let him go. Turns out he went to Griffith Uni as well, but just for a semester and was on his way back to Finland. He was staying in KL for a few days. I eventually fell asleep and suddenly it was eight hours later and we were in Malaysia! After going through customs it became apparent that the Finnish guy Peter and I were going to stick together which was fine with me. Traveling to another country, an Asian one no less, and being by yourself are kind of overwhelming and I felt protected since he was a guy and had been to KL before. We met this man who looked like Borat's accomplice on the way to the train and he told us that he flew to KL because he knew he will meet his wife there. We'll see.

Peter and I decided against the train and took the bus instead. Way cheaper but definately not a choice I would have made if I was by myself. Dodgy characters on there and it was a very long drive. Eventually, I got to my hostel the Anjung Hotel and dropped my luggage off. Then we went to Peter's and did the same. We had lunch in Chinatown and then took a taxi to the Batu Caves. This place was unbelievable. The caves looked fake, there were so many stairs to climb and so many beautiful temples in these caves. I am so happy we got to go there. Of course, there were monkeys everywhere as well. It's not a successful day in my opinion without them.





After feeling completely exhausted, Peter and I decided to go our seperate ways and freshen up and nap. Then we would meet at the Petronas Towers. When it was time to meet I grew worried because it took ages to get there because I kept going the wrong way on the monorail. Eventually I made it and the towers were incredible in person. There was one problem though: there were a few front entrances. I searched for Peter for an hour and was about to give up. It would be terrible to spend an entire day with someone and become good friends and then not say goodbye. Lukily the fountain show began on the lake behind the towers and I stayed to watch and photograph it. Then I finally saw Peter. We both sighed relief. We decided to get dinner and went inside the towers which was a whole crazy circular bustling world in itself. Our conversation continued to get deep talking about everything from politics, religion and relationships..both trying really hard to give advice on life. I learned so much from him and he learned so much from me. There is a girl back in Finland he was struggling with but in the end he decided to listen to my advice and is going to try to make it work when he is back. YEW. I think I will follow his advice too. After dinner we went outside to photograph the Petronas in their night time glory. Pictures cannot capture them and unfortunately the power decided to go out for a little bit (Asian blackouts). After the lights returned and a few more photos were taken it was time to head back to the hotel for much needed sleep. I felt like I hadn't slept in days. Peter and I said goodbye and exchanged emails. Then I trudged off to sleep in my uncomfrotable hard bed. However, there was acoustic guitar playing underneath my window and that helped me to drift off to a blissful sleep.





Moral of the story for this day was that traveling solo provides you the opportunity to meet amazing people. I find it incredible that you could meet a perfect stranger and you both talk about things that it is hard to talk about with other people, have an amazingly fun day and then you never ever see each other again. All you have is that experience to hold on to and that experience is certainly of value. We have to be open these experiences in our lives and let people in. They just might teach us a thing or two.

Thoughts about KL: clean in some spots, dirty in others. Very easy to figure out. Transport was amazing. People were friendly. The usual cost of a taxi was around 10-20 Ringits. Truly displays capitalism with the Petronas Towers. Batu caves are a must. KL airport is one of the best I have ever been in. HOT. near the equator. Need lots of water all of the time. Over all it was a lot better than what other people have told me.

Next stop: Bangkok

Current music: City and Colour- The Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment