Wednesday, July 6, 2011

07/07/11 My Tho so far

This morning I decided to try my luck and go for a run in the humid heat. I went along the river which was nice. However, i was more famous than usual. Shorts and tanks are not a common sight in Vietnam and I certainly don't see others running. Naturally, everyone smiled and waved and laughed as I ran by. On my way back I stopped at the bakery and then to my horror the guesthouse was locked! and I didn't have a key and to my knowledge no one was home. So, thank goodness i had money on me and now I am in the internet cafe because what else is there to do.

There is much to update on. Karoke on Monday night was hilarious! Our housekeeper loved singing the Vietnamese songs and everyone got into it.

I had an amazing Tuesday. That morning I taught at New World with Leigh. We taught with the teacher from New Zealand: Jeremy. He is quite goodlooking and ripped. The boys in the house have seen him before and like to tease all of us about him. He is pretty awkward though. When you say hello to him he looks down or is just antisocial in general. He also is a complicated teacher. Some of the activities were difficult and even Leigh and I had trouble helping the kids understand them.

When class was over a boy with the english name of Anthony followed us across the street to the bakery. He told us what things were and then started following us home. He is moving to Texas next year and that is why he is learning english. He is 17 but looks about 13. He told us about the different religions and customs in vietnam. Then he took us to his home in an alley near our house and his mother was outside and said hello. Then he insisted that Leigh and I should try this odd jello drink.It was floating dark green blocks of a jello-like substance sitting in a bucket on the street. The women, in their rice hats, scooped nup some and put it in a glass of ice, followed by coconut milk and sugar. It was really awful!We think that the jello was avocado but we can't be sure. We drank most of it to be polite because Anthony bought it for us. gross.



After, we went back to the guesthouse to get Riley and then went to the Progoda. It is lovely with a massive Budda. The decor was beautiful! Beautiful pillars and gold. Lovely buddist statues and flowers. Insense and dragon fruit offerings. A nice monk came over and showed me how to pray. Sometimes, I wonder if I was meant to be Buddist. It is beautiful. Outside there was a lovely garden. Pictures and words cannot describe how nice it was. After, we walked over to the vegetarian restaurant that Mrs. Sno took me to and ordered a tofu feast and the pumpkin flowers of course.



Next we went back to New World and one of the new girls that worked there (I forget her Vietnamese name) took us toget our nails done. We got a lovely manicure and pedicure for the total price of $3. Then she insisted on a massage. As we walked there she spoke of her excitement to be friends with us and because she used to live in Ho Chi  Minh city she has no friends here yet. She spoke of her dream to come to Australia and said that she must pass the English test in order to go. She said her friends told her it would be impossible. I told her she can do anything she puts her mind to and ignore her friends. She asked if she could speak english to us and if she could email us when we leave. We agreed to help her. Then we got our $6 full body massage done.

Then it was time to teach again. I was in my first class by myself. The teacher had the class bombard me with questions. Everything ranged from where are you from to are you married. Tough politcal and religious questions were asked too which I felt uncomfortable answering because I didn't know the proper way to do so. The students asked me to sing. I said I would break the windows with my voice so they made me dance instead. Then I asked the other students about their talents and each time a student performed the teacher laughed and said they will break the window. At the end of class, a student wanted a photo with me. It was a pretty  cool class.Then the director Miss Moon took us for vegetarian soup and paid for dinner. She is such a lovely and nice lady!



On our walk home we met a man sitting on his stoop that just moved back here from Canada so he could get in touch with his heritage. He told us he would help us whenever we needed.

Yesterday, I was supposed to teach at 930 but the class was having an exam. Instead, the school let me use their internet for free. Then Riley joined me and Miss Moon took us for vegetarian lunch across the street. There were so many different yumchas and tofus on those dishes. It was so good. The she drove us on her motorbike to another temple in town. She dropped me off first and went back from Riley. I stood in the temple at the end of what was a mass. One by one the monks walked out and gave me a nod. The temple was beautiful but not as beautiful as the Progada. Miss Moon arrived and taught us how to pray for a happy and successful life.

After she drove us to the hospital wear she said we would get a better massage for 30,000 ( almost 2 dollars) by a chiropractor. However, the wait was too long so we will go another day. She also introdauced me to the I.T. guy at New World who goes to the gym and loves fitness. He will teach me yoga and let me use the gym for 100,000 which is under 10 dollars for the month. I will definitely do that!

At class last night I was bombarded with questions again. A little girl asked a crazy question " Have you ever been in love with someone but they didn't know or didn't love you back?" Heavy. Someone else asked about the economy in America and if it is still bad. The when I got home I went out to dinner with the other volunteers at the night market. Our waitress was crazy and only knew vietnamese. she wasn't giving everyone the right dishes and trying to sort out how to pay at the end was interesting. She was yelling alot but thankfully another waitress knew english and helped us. Later Frank was joking about it and said : " thats beef thats beef the hooker said". oh man that was funny. She actually followed us out and was still yelling. Then we went to the jazz cafe. there was more controversy and confusion when they were trying to explain that they didn't have things we ordered. It was quite an interesting night.

I love My Tho. Everyone is so nice and accomodating and I love having a few local friends already. It makes you feel comfortable and welcome. I love meeting everyone. I also love that there are no tourists and that I am lucky to live in this little city so I can experience the true Vietnamese life. I love walking down the street and the little kids will say hello to you. and yesterday an adorable little boy said "Hello how are you?" and I said good and how are you? and he said " fine thank you". Ah so cute!

Well I think it is time now to see if my door is unlocked. Pictures on this blog will come soon!

Current Music: Arrows- Children Collide

No comments:

Post a Comment